Re: Mintty Log Off problem (now 1.7.16s)

>>I thought you had requested in which 1.7.10s snapshot it broke.
>>So the earliest snapshot I could find for 1.7.10s does have the problem.
>>It works in 1.7.9.
>>
>>As I mentioned earlier in cygwin-inst-20120415.tar.bz2, a 1.7.11s
>
>That should be cygwin-inst-20120220.tar.bz2.
>
>>snapshot it's fixed. That's the snapshot that was current when
>>it was suggested I try the latest snapshot.
>>
>>So, you must be wanting me to check the 1.7.11s snapshots to see
>>if it's fixed in an earlier 1.7.11s snapshot.
>>
>>I'll have to check that out next week when I should have more time.
>>
>>   Harry

I had a little bit of time this afternoon to start on the snapshots
prior to 20120220.  I had enough time to try several of these instead
of the first 1.7.10s snapshot I reported on.  Since it is necessary
to stop any and all cygwin processes before switching the cygwin1.dll's
each time I try a snapsnot, I ended up going through several iterations
where I remembered to stop everything started by cygrunsrv at startup,
but forgot on occasion to stop gpg-agent.  Interestingly, the problem
occurs when I have not stopped gpg-agent.  It turns out that I built
gpg2 on cygwin with the resulting gpg-agent at the same time I had
upgraded to 1.7.15.  So this problem with 1.7.15 and later is because
exiting mintty does not stop the gpg-agent that is somehow associated
with it and according to an earlier post in this thread, unless
a process associated with mintty is started with setsid, if it
is still running you could have a problem like this.

I haven't looked to see how the gpg-agent really gets started when
I fire up mintty, but with gpg2 configured to use gpg-agent, it does.
So, if I stop gpg-agent in ~/.logout under tcsh in mintty, the problem
with 1.7.15 and later disappears.

This is NOT the problem I first reported some months back.  That got
fixed with cygwin-inst-20120220.tar.bz2.  I was not using gpg-agent or
gpg2 prior to 1.7.15 and just happened to do the 1.7.15 upgrade the same
day I installed gpg2 and when I logged off windows got the problem
with Windows wanting to end mintty even when it had been properly
terminated ever since.

So thanks for everyone's patience in what turned out to be a red-herring.

--

Harry G. McGavran, Jr.

E-mail: w5pny@w5pny.com