Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost

richw wrote:

> I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib no longer are useful. The mount command (for which I need to type
> /bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there. I type the following two
> commands:
> mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
> mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
> and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
> Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?

I believe I have figured out how to reproduce this problem. It seems to be
caused by accessing an nfs server before running cygwin.bat to run bash. But
in case that's not enough information, I'll give a complete sequence. Here's
a cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34037768/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out

First, install the cygwin nfs server. Here's my /etc/exports:

> / (ro,no_root_squash)

[Yeah, security!]
Reboot.
Run putty and use a serial port to talk to my TS-7250 embedded computer
(embeddedarm.com).

> 50:/root # uname -a
> Linux ts7200 2.4.26-ts9 #151 Mon Feb 13 16:01:46 MST 2006 armv4l unknown
> 50:/root # cat /etc/profile
> [snip]
> m()
> {
>   mount | grep nfs >/dev/null
>   if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>     mount 192.168.1.40:/ /mnt
>   fi
>   cd /mnt/home/rw
> }
> 50:/root # m
> 50:/mnt/home/rw #

[I probably did an 'ls' too, but didn't get that copied]
Now, click my cygwin.bat icon:

> bash: id: command not found
> bash: /usr/bin/hostname: No such file or directory
> bash: sed: command not found
> bash: ls: command not found
> bash: /usr/bin/locale: No such file or directory
> bash: /usr/bin/tzset: No such file or directory
> bash: id: command not found
>
> rw@seven ~
> $ mount
> bash: mount: command not found
>
> rw@seven ~
> $ /bin/mount
> C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> rw@seven ~

A reboot fixes the problem, as long as I run cygwin.bat before I access nfs.