Re: Backspace

On 06/20/2012 07:05 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Stated differently, I want the backspace key to move backwards one space and to erase the previous character, like, for example, the less man page says it's supposed to.
Now methinks you're just being obtuse.
I'm not trying to be obtuse. I just want backspace to do a backspace.
Let me restate what I see in my environment. Erase is set as ^? but I didn't set it anywhere. So to my way of thinking, this is the default.
Makes sense.
This makes me think that maybe you have erase set to ^H somewhere?
Yes, I set it in my ~/.bashrc. Because I believe that big backspace key that I love to hit sent C-h.
What does your .minttyrc look like?
As I said before "I get this problem with Console - another, non-Cygwin terminal emulator and
I see this problem with gnome-terminal. I don't see this problem with mintty". As such I'm not sure how .minttyrc applies here...
Other resource files?
Which would you like?

I think you missed the part where I said "I don't see this problem with mintty". I see the problem when I use Console ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/) a non-cygwin terminal emulator that I use because it handle's Windows /dev/conin and /dev/conout better than Cygwin. I also see this problem when I use my home Ubuntu system's gnome-terminal coupled with an ssh to Cygwin running in a Windows 7 VM in my LAN.

I found where I can tell gnome-terminal to use C-h for backspace. Thanks - that problem is solved. I need to talk to the developer of Console to ask him about why Console was not honoring it's "Backspace == Control-H setting". And how he handles /dev/conin & conout so that perhaps mintty could be made better (Basically Windows programs like say cleartool and ActiveState Perl work with Console - i.e. typing cleartool will show you the cleartool problem. I think he's running a hidden cmd shell... anyways)

Sorry I didn't test out gnome-terminal but I was at my client's site today and didn't have access to gnome-terminal until I got home - otherwise I would have tested it and poked around first.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?