RE: cygwin 1.7.15-1 - .NET console output locks up mintty

You just said a moment ago that replacing cygwin1.dll with the latest
snapshot from 6/19 made the observed problem go away.  So I guess you
figured out after all how to do my #1 suggestion of using latest development
snapshot?

> 2. Running "export CYGWIN=pipe_byte" and then the .NET HelloWorld
> program still
>    exhibited the problem.

That's because "pipe_byte" won't fix the problem of a hang.  What pipe_byte
will fix is allow all non-Cygwin programs to properly handle reading from
standard input.  That's because unmanaged VC++ and managed .NET runtimes
don?t support reading a message pipe standard input.  This compatibility
issue with these common Microsoft runtimes isn't yet in the Cygwin
documentation as far as I know, which is why I'm pointing it out to you -
since you're obviously using non-Cygwin programs.

There are many ways to set CYGWIN variable, as others have mentioned.
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-env.html shows how to do it from the
Windows command prompt before running Cygwin.  I typically set my variable
system-wide from the advanced System Properties icon in Control Panel, if
you want to do that then I suggest you follow any of the procedures that use
that at https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+environment+variables