Re: Linefeed without carriage return after quitting vim

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Sumudu Fernando <sumuduf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using the latest cygwin DLL (1.7.15-1) I am routinely encountering a
> strange issue when quitting vim.  This only occurs if I have used ^Z
> to suspend vim, restored it with fg, and later quit.  IOW things work
> normally if I never suspend vim.
>
> A problematic session looks something like:
> --------
> [~]$ vim
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 vim
> [~]$ fg
>        vim
>           [~]$
> --------
>
> The problem is evident in the last two lines which should be flush
> with the left margin.  For comparison, substituing 'less' for 'vim':
> --------
> [~]$ less /Cygwin.bat
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 less -r /Cygwin.bat
> [~]$ fg
> less -r /Cygwin.bat
> [~]$
> --------
>
> The terminal behaves normally so it doesn't seem like any settings get
> corrupted (pressing enter gives me a properly-aligned prompt).
> Currently, stty just outputs:
>
> speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
>
> but I have tried various settings of the newline / CR translations to no avail.
>
> Interestingly, the "info" program exhibits the same behaviour.  I
> thought maybe it would affect other "fullscreen" programs like "less"
> or "man", but I couldn't reproduce it with those two (as shown above).
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this / how to further diagnose?  It's
> not a killer but it certainly looks weird.  This used to happen with
> older cygwin dll's but IIRC it was never so reliably reproducible.
>
> Thank you,
>

>                                             -Sumudu Fernando
>
> --

Have you verified the setting in vim for how it saves files?  You can
set it to save either in DOS or Unix format by default.  Also, if
you're opening an existing file, vim will retain the format - no
matter what setting you have for new files.

Just a thought,

Richard.