This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: smartmontools-5.43-1
- From: Christian Franke <Christian dot Franke at t-online dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:26:29 +0200
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: smartmontools-5.43-1
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Version 5.43-1 of smartmontools has been uploaded.
- smartctl options '-g, --get' and '-s, --set' to get/set
various ATA settings: AAM, APM, Read look-ahead, Write
cache, Security (freeze), Standby mode/timer.
- smartd directive '-e' to set (most of) the above settings
- smartctl options '-f hex' and '-f hex,[id|val]'.
- smartctl does not start ATA self-test if another test is
already running. Override with new option '-t force'.
- smartctl supports extended self-test polling times
greater than 255 minutes.
- Controller-independent SAT detection: '-d sat,auto[+TYPE]'.
- smartd.conf DEFAULT directive.
- Many HDD, SSD and USB additions to drive database.
- Windows: Support for SATA disks behind Areca controllers.
- Windows smartd: directives '-l offlinests,ns' and
For a full list of changes see NEWS and CHANGELOG in
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools and ticket report at
Please read the Windows and Cygwin sections in the INSTALL file.
For open issues see
Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd) to
control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern ATA
and SCSI disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide advanced
warning of disk degradation and failure.
Smartctl is a command line utility designed to perform tasks such as
printing the SMART self-test and error logs, enabling and disabling
SMART automatic testing, and initiating device self-tests.
Smartd is a daemon that monitors the drives every 30 minutes
(configurable), logs SMART errors and changes of SMART Attributes via
the syslog interface.
Smartd can also be configured to schedule self-tests and send email
warnings or run other scripts if problems are detected.
On Cygwin, smartd can be run as a windows service via cygrunsrv.
To update your installation, click on the "Install or update now" link
on the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: cygwin <at> cygwin.com .
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com <at> cygwin.com
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple