Re: clisp crashes on startup

On 7/13/12 9:30 AM, Reini Urban wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Hmm, I do not really want to maintain lisp32.exe and lisp64.exe
>>> variants, but maybe
>>> upstream can be persuaded to make that distinction in the clisp.exe driver.
>>> It's only for huge data and bad rebase addresses.
>>> And for huge data a self-compiled clisp makes sense to me.
>>> Serious lisp users use better lisp compilers anyway which compile
>>> to native code. (sbcl, lispworks, allegro).
>>> clisp's main strength is fast startup and fast IO.

>>> Maybe also a documentation issue for rebaseing.
>>
>> That has nothing to do with rebasing.  If you build clisp with a recent
>> gcc, it will have the "bigaddr" flag set in the file header since
>> Cygwin's gcc sets that by default.  While DLLs should be rebased from
>> 0x70000000 downwards as usual, the applications heap, as well as
>> thread stacks, as well as shared memory regions created with mmap(2)
>> or shmat(2) will be in the high memory area starting at 0x80000000.
>>
>> THe bottom line is, if the distro clisp isn't 32 bit clean, which it
>> apparently isn't using default settings, it should either be rebuilt
>> with -DWIDE, or it should have the bigaddr flag removed from the
>> file header by default (peflags -l0).
>
> Thanks. This deserves an update now.

Indeed. One caveat is that WIDE seems to be incompatible with clisp
threading. It'd probably be a good idea to send an email upstream and
ask the clisp people whether there's anything they can do. You'll also
need the attached patch, which fixes some macro-name conflicts that
arise when compiling with WIDE.

I'd code up something like LINUX_NOEXEC_HEAPCODES myself, but I'm
nervous about making those changes: lots of places in the code (like
the bytecode interpreter?!) look at LINUX_NOEXEC_HEAPCODES and do
subtly different things if it'd set. In principle, I don't see why we
should have to reserve [0xC0000000, 0xDFFFFFFF]: the bits that force
us out of this range could come from the low bits of the pointer
instead, and the cost would just be a coarser alignment requirement.
I'm happier with requiring coarser alignment than I am with carving
out a portion of the address space.