Re: mcrypt issue

On 16/07/2012 22:16, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
I am seeing an mcrypt problem with short plaintext strings.
I don't have a Linux box to compare results, so I don't
know if this is an upstream or a Cygwin issue.

$ mcrypt --version
Mcrypt v.2.6.8 (i686-pc-cygwin)
Linked against libmcrypt v.2.5.8
Copyright (C) 1998-2002 Nikos Mavroyanopoulos (nmav@gnutls.org)
$

Longer strings seem to work:

$ echo abcdef | mcrypt -q -k xyz | mcrypt -dq -k xyz
abcdef
$

But shorter ones not so much:

$ echo abcde | mcrypt -q -k xyz | mcrypt -dq -k xyz
ab▒$

--Ken Nellis

The commands you show work correctly with older version of the software. Specifically, I've tried this:

mcrypt-2.6.7-1.tar.bz2
libmcrypt4-2.5.8-1.tar.bz2
libmcrypt-2.5.8-1.tar.bz2

Although on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS latest versions of mcrypt and libmcrypts work with these two commands.