Re: No DBI module when installing Perl 5.14

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Andrew DeFaria  wrote:
> I recently updated my Cygwin to 1.7.16. With this came Perl 5.14.2. While
> the update when fine, after updating I restarted a service that I wrote in
> Perl that used DBI. To my surprise it failed saying it couldn't find the DBI
> module. I used cpan to reinstall it but I was wondering if it was
> intentional that DBI would be missing after upgrading to 5.14.2.

DBI also did not come with perl-5.10, you installed it by yourself.

Check my update recipe from the announcement mail:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-07/msg00011.html

Update recommendations from 5.10:
Since 5.14 is not installed in parallel to 5.10, all your old 5.10 binary XS
modules will need to be reinstalled for 5.14.

BEFORE INSTALLATION of this 5.14
# get the list of your installed 5.10 modules
$ perl -MExtUtils::Installed \
   -e'print join("\n", new ExtUtils::Installed->modules)' > module.list

AFTER INSTALLATION of 5.14
# install all previous modules for 5.10 and older
$ cpan `cat module.list`

PS: doing the cpanm dance with xargs is not recommended as it forks too much.
$ perl -MExtUtils::Installed \
   -e'print join("\n", new ExtUtils::Installed->modules)' | xargs cpan

--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/