This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin fresh install imports Windows PATH which includes spaces causing errors
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:50:38 -0400
- Subject: Re: Cygwin fresh install imports Windows PATH which includes spaces causing errors
- References: <BLU0-SMTP306681C203762B2074C0748CEDC0@phx.gbl>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 05:31:54PM +0200, Aaron Schneider wrote:
>Fresh install of cygwin on c:\cygwin\ is including spaces in PATH,
>causing that cannot execute common tasks,
>$ echo $PATH
>/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/PC Connectivity
>Solution:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft
>Shared/Windows Live:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32: and so on
>Can't find C:\Program on PATH.
The Cygwin version of make would not display "c:" anything. That's not
a Cygwin path specification and it shouldn't even be possible for a
Cygwin program to see the Windows PATH environment variable. You must
be running a non-cygwin make. Spaces in the PATH are acceptable on both
Linux and Cygwin and Windows.
That said, however, make does not deal well with spaces in file
specifications. If something is actually parsing a PATH environment
variable then it could cause problems.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple