Re: Perl 5.14.2 seems to expect gcc-4

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Aaron Schneider writes:
>> Since a lot of people are having issues because 'perl_vendor' is not
>> installed when should, wouldn't be better to set perl_vendor as a
>> mandatory dependency of perl so just everyone gets it installed? I
>> guess package size won't be an issue.

> No, please don't â I have compiled my own perl packages and need
> perl_vendor to stay out of the way.  If anything this would be a hint
> that hiding packages in perl_vendor, while helping to keep the number of
> packages down, doesn't help people finding what they need.

I agree on the not hiding packages in perl_vendor part.  Once I
realized that I was missing XML::LibXML, I checked whether it was
available and, finding that it for some reason wasnât (anymore, I
thought, as I had used it previously with Perl 5.10), went the cpan
route, which led me down the rabbitâs hole.

Itâs impossible to know what the perl_vendor package contains unless
you actually install it.  Split it up, make XML::LibXML available as a
separate package and add its dependencies.