Re: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect reported as permission denied

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 04:35:23PM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Pawel Jasinski wrote:
>>>If you can find a nice Linux errno which maps from
>>>ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX to something other than EACCES I'd be happy
>>>to change Cygwin.
>>
>>Sorry I was not clear.  The point was not to use linux error code.
>>what I was trying to say is linux does not follow POSIX only error
>>codes policy.  Such a policy is impractical.  Your point was POSIX
>>only, wasn't it?  You can add cygwin specific error codes.
>
>Cygwin doesn't have the access required to execute the process because
>of some reason.  It is up to you to examine the reason.  Why should we
>be bothered with anything other than EACCESS?  When you reported the
>issue the first action you took was to determine why you couldn't
>execute a Windows program.  That was the correct action, hammering this
>list with your wishes isn't gaining you sympathy from those that use
>and support it.

Actually, it was Andrew Defaria who wanted it but, yeah, I think I've
personally devoted more time to this than the issue warrants.

I've asked Corinna privately if she has any ideas or concerns but I
would be surprised if this was something that she thought important
to address.

If someone has a patch they want to propose they should send it to
cygwin-patches, bearing in mind that we don't want to break any
existing applications.

cgf