Re: gdb dies debugging fortran program

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:59:35PM -0700, L Anderson wrote:
I trying to use gdb to debug a fortran program compiled with gfortran
but gdb inconsistently dies in the process.  I have written a
small fortran program that exhibits the problem.

The test program is:

<code>
       PROGRAM GDBDIES

C     PROGRAM TO SHOW GDB DIES DEBUGGING IT
       IMPLICIT INTEGER (A-Z)

A = 1

B = 2

IF (B.EQ.2) GOTO 20

C = 4

20 D = 200

       END
</code>

I compiled it with:

$ gfortran -g -o gdbdies gdbdies.f

and ran it under gdb thusly:

$ gdb gdbdies.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.50.20111026-cvs (cygwin-special)
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
Reading symbols from /cygdrive/m/Langpak/src/gdbdies.exe...done.
(gdb) b 9
Breakpoint 1 at 0x40117d: file gdbdies.f, line 9.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /cygdrive/m/Langpak/src/gdbdies.exe
[New Thread 4672.0x1630]
[New Thread 4672.0x15b8]

Breakpoint 1, gdbdies () at gdbdies.f:9
9             B = 2
(gdb) n
10            C = 3
(gdb) n
11            IF (C.EQ.3) GOTO 20
(gdb) n    <<<---here's where it goes out to lunch and never comes back.

gdb doesn't consistently die in the same place--it seems to be related
to where the breakpoint is set.  However, it seems to more consistently
die just after line 11 where the GOTO 20 is.

My system is XP Pro SP3 with Cygwin DLL version 1.7.16

Is this a bug in gdb or am I doing something wrong?

Are you running gdb under mintty or on a windows console. I've seen a problem with gdb running in a console which manifests the way you describe. Running under mintty usually works better.

Running under mintty--haven't used windows console for cygwin in ages.

LA