Re: Promote sqlite 3.7.13-1 from test status?

On 8/16/2012 9:34 AM, Brian Wilson wrote:
> Corina is correct, Cygwin is supposed to be a Posix compliant environment so
> the SQLite package should follow the Posix standard as the default
> behavior.  If you want to use Windoze tools, why are you using Cygwin?  If
> you really must, why not set up Apache under Cygwin and access the Cygwin
> Subversion repository through the defined http server interface and the
> issue of file locking becomes moot.

The locking issue isn't only related to the repository, it's related to
the workspace itself. The problem people have is when they use
TortoiseSVN and Cygwin svn with the same workspace.

> If this solution isn't acceptable, Cygwin Subversion should use a
> different DB and drop SQLite.

As the current Subversion svn packager, I can say I'm not going to do
that. Subversion upstream only supports SQLite.

>From a Subversion perspective, I think turning off the TortoiseSVN icon
cache is a reasonable work-around for those that must use both tools.
But as Warren pointed out, Subversion may not be the only case when a
Cygwin tool and a Windows tool want to access the same database at the
same time. I can understand the point that Cygwin SQLite should be
behave POSIX-ly, but if the locking is handled solely within SQLite
itself, does it really matter? Using the same locking that
Windows-native SQLite uses does seem to avoid some interaction issues
without causing any issues for Cygwin programs, so that's a net plus, right?

genius, n.:
        Person clever enough to be born in the right place at the right
        time of the right sex and to follow up this advantage by saying
        all the right things to all the right people.