Re: adding a folder to my path

On 02/01/2013 10:18 AM, LMH wrote:
I think this is a cygwin question, though it is certainly a general linux question as well. I would like to divide up and organize some of the apps and links in my path directories (such as /usr/local/bin) into sub directories. If I add a folder to /usr/local/bin, that folder is not in my path. Can someone give me the instructions for adding a folder such as /usr/local/bin/ruby_viewer/ to my path?
This is a very basic linux question, whose precise answer will depend on which shell you use (sh, bash, tcsh, etc.), regardless of the underlying OS (cygwin, linux, solaris, etc.).

Assuming bash, you might start with http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_03_02.html

Ryan