Re: disk format question

On 01/08/2013 10:24 PM, Warren Young wrote:
On 1/8/2013 08:38, bartels wrote:
That may very well be true, but I have a friend called locate:

I *had* a friend called "which", but he didn't find it.

I have now unfriended him. ;)

Very funny. Yeah, know thy friends, is true. Cygwin remains a mongrel, an alien, an exotic thing in almost hostile territory.

In that case, you shouldn't be looking at /dev names anyway. They're assigned in order of device discovery, so the device that gets called /dev/sdb or whatever depends on what happened before your code ran.

It turns out that it is even easier: the device was switched to read-only. I could not see that, because it is remote. And dd does not work on udf, but format.com has no such problems.

In Disk Management, you can permanently assign a USB key a different drive letter than the default. Now when you put it in, it appears somewhere other than code blindly hard-coded with a /dev name expects.

I know. We assign letters with diskpart.

Does windows leave a trail when mounting?

Oh, doubtless there's something buried in the NT device namespace, mentioned in the document I pointed you to. Maybe you could dump two copies of it and diff(1) them, and assume that the one line that appears in the output is the new device.

No need for that, fortunately.

Ugh.

Well said.

- bartels.