Re: Cygwin gvim needs weird ritual to past from Windows clipboard

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Andy <AndyMHancock@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys, thanks for your replies.  I might not have been clear enough in
> my original post, but the problem is in attempting to copy from a
> Windows app and pasting into Cygwin's gvim.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but your responses (and the wiki site) are directed at copying from
> gvim to Windows.
>
> I'm pretty sure I tried Shift-Insert, and that didn't solve the
> problem.  To be sure, the problem isn't *always* present, but it is
> usually  present.  When it is, nothing I've tried will fix it except
> the trick of highlighting arbitrary text in gvim before trying to copy
> something from a Windows app.
>
> About PC-based gvim, I also have that.  But I tend to use the gvim
> text buffer as a bash command console, concocting bash code on the fly
> and either shelling out to generate/filter text or writing some lines
> to !bash.  It's tricky to set up vimrc so that PC-based gvim can do
> this, though I think I've mostly got that problem solved.  Just as
> vexing, however, is the constant need to convert the path to/from
> bash/cygwin posix form to Windows form.  So when I need to bash
> around, I use the cygwin gvim.

Everything I said works both ways, both Cygwin->Windoze and
Windoze->Cygwin.  The only difference in GVim is whether you use yank
("Y") or put ("P").  This works for both the win32 version of GVim and
the Cygwin X11 version of GVim.  To be specific:

 - Highlight something in your browser and type Crtl-C
 - Go into GVim and type "*P  (i.e. double quote-asterisk-capital P).

GVim sees the windows clipboard as a special buffer named * (i.e.
asterisk, star, whatever).  The double-quote references a buffer, star
is the name of the buffer, and capital P means "put contents here".
Of course, both yank and put have both uppercase versions (whole
lines) and lowercase versions (partial lines).

Have you tried this?

Alan Thompson