$USER is not resolved in paths sometimes

Hello folks,

I'm new to Cygwin, new to this newsgroup too. ;)

I'm running Cygwin and using the zsh shell.

In the .zshrc file I got these lines:
alias vboxmanage=VBoxManage
vboxmanage setproperty machinefolder "C:\Users\$USER\VirtualBox VMs\"

When I try to boot a VM using vagrant (which
uses vboxmanage internally I think) sometimes
$USER is not resolved to the real username.

Instead vboxmanage creates a new machinefolder
on C:/ which is then called "Users$USER" and
inside this folder there is the folder "VirtualBox VMs",
so the wrong path is "C:\Users$USER\VirtualBox VMs\".

How could that be? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Do I need to escape the backslashes or is
there anything else I need to take care of?

I'm wondering why it only fails sometimes.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas