Re: startxwin started bash does not read .bashrc or .bash_profile

Dear Kevin (et al.) -- I use StartXWin all the time,
and start bash from an xterm, and the startup reading
of .bash_profile, etc., proceeds as documented.

Thinking it might be something about mintty, I tested
that as well, with --login and with just -i, and it
all works as expected, reading the proper startup
files.

Two things occur to me.  One is that I struggle some
with .startxwinrc, etc., until I realized that my
usual scripts have not been run so my usual paths are
not set.  I needed an explicit setting of PATH in my
.startxwinrc file, like this:

PATH="${PATH}:/usr/bin"

However, if mintty and bash are both running, then that
is probably not your issue.

What I do wonder about is the setting of HOME.  In your
email you wrote out *Windows* versions of the paths.
My HOME reads /home/Eliot when I do echo $HOME in bash.
While cygwin can use Windows paths in some cases, the
whole situation can be sensitive and surprising.

So this also leads me to wonder if you have the cygwin
passwd and group files set up right.  You might want to
look into /etc/passwd and /etc/group.  See the programs
mkpasswd and mkgroup, which are there to help build
proper versions of those files.

Finally, did this start as a result of an upgrade of
cygwin or of cygwin X server related programs or files?
That would be a helpful clue (to the maintainers, not
to me :-) ).

Regards -- Eliot