ssh-host-config produces Win32 error 1057 on systems with non-ASCII computer names

Dears,

I am running a fresh install of the latest stable cygwin on a fresh install of vanilla Windows 7 64-bit Finnish, with computer name "Käyttäjä-PC". When I run 'ssh-host-config -y' the service installation phase fails on the Finnish equivalent of "cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: CreateService: Win32 error 1057: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified."

Changing the computer name to just "PC", rebooting and retrying works around the problem. Localized output from Windows in cygwin with non-ASCII characters still looks awful by default though :)

Running 'ssh-host-config -y -d' succeeds in installing the service with warnings, and as cyg_server is not taking over incoming privsep logins it still does not work. A wild guess is that the non-ASCII computer name somehow affects the user creation or granting privileges.

As a side note, non-ASCII user names work well and are not affected by this. As long as proper code pages are consistently used, non-ASCII user names are a challenge to be handled primarily between different systems consoles and file formats.

I thought I'd throw this out there as could not find earlier messages about this. At least someone googling can find the workaround. Non-ASCII host/computer names are often not well handled elsewhere anyway, so there are more reasons than this to avoid them.

Best regards,
Johan Ehnberg

--
Johan Ehnberg