Re: /dev/sdb permission denied

On Apr  9 10:41, andrei wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > What's the result of 'ls /dev/sd*'?
>
> Hello Larry,
>
> result of 'ls /dev/sd*':
>
> $ ls /dev/sd*
> /dev/sda   /dev/sda2  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdc1  /dev/sdd1  /dev/sde1
> /dev/sda1  /dev/sdb   /dev/sdc   /dev/sdd   /dev/sde
>
> according to <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-
> specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices> I should have /dev/shm and
> /dev/mqueue and possibly other directories in the /dev directory?

Yes, but obviously they are not shown if you filter the ls output
as above.  A plain `ls' should show them.

> $ cat /proc/partitions
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>     8     0 312571224 sda
>     8     1 301684603 sda1
>     8     2  10884037 sda2
>     8    16   1000944 sdb
>     8    32         0 sdc
>     8    48         0 sdd
>     8    64         0 sde
>
> the above shows the 1gig CF card is detected and has 'sdb' assingend to it.
>
> so it looks like the problem is that I'm missing /dev/shm and /dev/mqueue -
> is this correct? what can be done to solve

This has nothing at all to do with it.  But the above output from
/proc/partitions is strange.  Where's sdb1?  Anyway, typically you read
from sdb1 on CF cards and their siblings.  Only as admin you can read
from sdb.  I just tested this again with a CF card in an USB reader
attached to a W7 64 bit machine running Cygwin 1.7.17.  Are you *sure*
you tried it with admin rights?  Did you start your Cygwin shell with
`Run as administrator'?

Corinna

Red Hat