This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Bug in ddk headers when used from cygwin
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 15:58:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: Bug in ddk headers when used from cygwin
- References: <51625CAE dot 2030703 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm> <20130408074801 dot GA10199 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51630442 dot 4080805 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm> <20130409091609 dot GI10126 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51641548 dot 2060700 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Apr 9 09:19, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 4/9/2013 5:16 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Apr 8 13:54, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >>But doesn't this mean that the cygwin's w32api package should
> >>exclude all of the ddk headers; it's not simply a case that you
> >>"shouldn't" use ddk/*.h, but that you actually cannot, because
> >>compilation will fail.
> >The absence of intrin.h was a bug, but otherwise you could still use
> >the ddk headers for what they are supposed to be: Writing device
> >drives and other kernel stuff. The difference is just that the ddk
> >headers from mingw-w64 cannot be used together with the user space
> >headers like windows.h, but that's not different from "upstream".
> ...but is it reasonable to create a *cygwin* device driver or kernel
> mode item? If you're using the cygwin compiler, then you're linking
> against the cygwin dll -- which makes a bunch of usermode w32 calls
> under the hood. If it's bad juju to mix ddk/ kernel mode stuff with
> w32api/ user mode stuff, then any "cygwin" device driver is, by
> definition, bad juju.
> If I'm correct, then the *cygwin* w32api-headers package (and
> cygwin64-w32api-headers) should exclude ddk/ from their deliverable
> footprint, even if intrin.h is added back to the toplevel w32api/
> include directory for other reasons.
Well, actually I don't really care one way or the other. You may want
to discuss this with JonY.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple