Re: Cygwin with clock_gettime and CLOCK_MONOTONIC - gives always 0

On Apr 11 2013, Steve Kargl wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:35:54PM +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:

* gfortran's example for random_see should be change to not use system_clock for the random seed.

I disagree.  The example is just that a short example
that demonstrates how to use random_seed.  Anyone using
that example in his/her code without testing the results
in his/her potentially broken environment should not be
programming.

That is unfair.  Few scientists will know that system clocks are
an iffy aspect of a programming language, especially as there are
no fundamental reasons that should be the case.  People who have
been around for a while will know that, and I can witness that
they have been made a complete mess of since the 1960s, quite
often preserving the defects of ancient designs in new designs
that have no functional aspect in common.  But why on earth
should any sane person expect that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.