This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin with clock_gettime and CLOCK_MONOTONIC - gives always 0
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at freemail dot ru>
- To: Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 06:31:32 +0400
- Subject: Re: Cygwin with clock_gettime and CLOCK_MONOTONIC - gives always 0
- References: <5166A0B3 dot 70801 at net-b dot de> <5166BCA1 dot 5040204 at net-b dot de> <20130411134835 dot GD18333 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51670B6B dot 3000503 at net-b dot de> <20130411195200 dot GJ18333 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51671EAA dot 8030901 at net-b dot de> <20130411213934 dot GA30487 at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu> <Prayer dot 1 dot 3 dot 5 dot 1304112323420 dot 8772 at hermes-2 dot csi dot cam dot ac dot uk> <20130411230041 dot GA30988 at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu>
- Reply-to: Andrey Repin <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Greetings, Steve Kargl!
>> >> * gfortran's example for random_see should be change to not use
>> >> system_clock for the random seed.
>> >I disagree. The example is just that a short example
>> >that demonstrates how to use random_seed. Anyone using
>> >that example in his/her code without testing the results
>> >in his/her potentially broken environment should not be
>> That is unfair. Few scientists will know that system clocks are
>> an iffy aspect of a programming language, especially as there are
>> no fundamental reasons that should be the case.
> This has nothing to do with the iffy-ness of system clocks. My
> disagreemnet is predicated on the stupidity of using a 10 line
> example subroutine without actually inspecting what it does on
> whatever OS that one chooses to use. Perhaps, my expectations
> for the IQ of scientists is too high. Are you suggesting that
> every code snippet in the manual should contain a cautionary
> comment of the form:
No, I expect a code snippet in manual to produce sensible, reliable and
predictable results across the board, especially for such generic cases.
> ! This is only an example. Use with extreme caution.
Andrey Repin (firstname.lastname@example.org) 12.04.2013, <06:29>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple