This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Shadowcopy volume block devices
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:56:35 +0200
- Subject: Re: Shadowcopy volume block devices
- References: <CAKAA-nncyH+D0RXDQ1KF6xkxSKGPrhodp7tDJTBJLC2-k3L1Jg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130528133514 dot GJ5264 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAKAA-nkaDnV30NCDVnbZ_J4fr2D-PRkb7qixxfursi0dHKxDfw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130528153302 dot GL5264 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAKAA-nk4Z-4L3Xa9JVx=t9CQsZi7qbo6nuQDXk7tsLVM8eLVpg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130529084703 dot GE31309 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAKAA-nmpgbow6d=PAMG0pEvpOUdj+LD_qq2cybs4ha2v=O=o2w at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Jun 1 19:46, Micky wrote:
> > I'm looking forward to your feedback.
> This is now working like a charm! On the upside, I noticed one more
> thing. Unlike dd on traditional cmd, your implementation doesn't copy
> the zero blocks -- which to its considerable benefit is a humongous
> time saver for me as now I don't have to compress the image to save
> space! Whether this was intentional or not, I think we should keep it
> this way. And I do appreciate your instant fix!
Thanks, but my "implementation" just opens the device and reads from
it. There's no other magic involved. If it doesn't copy zero blocks,
it's an OS feature.
> > Btw., as a sidenote, are you aware that you can access the filesystem
> > underneath the volume shadow copy as well?
> Yea, that was the first thing I noticed. I thought it was cool since I
> don't have to run diskshadow.exe or mklink to mount a volume. Just
> open up the bash and everything is there for you. Whoever came up with
> this idea, is a fathomable genius :)!
> Btw, when is this going to be released in stable branch? I did test
> the dumped image by restoring it, which also worked fine.
I intend to release 1.7.19 at the start of this week, probably Monday
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple