Re: Cygwin64: mkshortcut - Segmentation fault

On 6/10/2013 4:46 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
Just for the record,

Vasiliy wrote:
user@host /etc/postinstall
$ /usr/bin/mkshortcut $CYGWINFORALL -P -i /usr/bin/XWin.exe -n
"Cygwin-X/XWin Server" -a "/usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
/usr/bin/startxwin.exe" /usr/bin/run.exe
Aborted (core dumped)

I flagged a similar problem a few months ago for Cygwin32:

It still survives in 1.7.20-1...

AFAICT, this is a completely different problem. The only similarity to Vasiliy's report is that both (appear to) involve mkshortcut. I believe your report has to do with error handling when attempting to modify the All User's Desktop, when you don't actually retain the elevated permissions necessary to do so.

However, mkshortcut shouldn't *hang* in that case, so it's definitely mkshortcut bug. I just haven't had the cycles to track it down and fix it. PTC...

--
Chuck