This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: pty issue causes 'screen' to hang when run from mintty as detached
- From: <gmt at malth dot us>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:39:57 -0700
- Subject: RE: pty issue causes 'screen' to hang when run from mintty as detached
- References: <51B63D88 dot 6000508 at codespunk dot com> <phscr81sr0kr02qenquh1s0na4n062u3so at 4ax dot com> <774dr8ld62oteq1o8ljpplpuptlleritqe at 4ax dot com> <51B8F3E5 dot 8070000 at codespunk dot com> <CA+VB3NSC-Oxb0_v+PDpA3v_uyw+7xSWq2HX0nwYHj7Ub3Dty+A at mail dot gmail dot com> <51BA3488 dot 5050708 at cygwin dot com>
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, at 14:07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) thusly quipped:
> On 6/13/2013 3:34 PM, Greg Turner wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Matt D. <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>> "the Windows console window you get through cygstart is not [a pty]"
>> Ah, so /that's/ what I recently read uncomprehendingly! Thanks for
>> tracking down this concise explanation. Assuming that's right, then,
>> I wonder: what is it?
> What is what? This Windows console? It's... well, it's a... um, it's a
> console! ;-)
> But seriously, it's just something different that doesn't conform to the
> definition of a PTY. Windows doesn't have PTYs. It uses the console
So, no win32-console-specific fhandler exists, and clones of the win32 stdio
handles are simply passed through cygwin core to newlib and vice-versa
without any funny-business?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple