This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: pty issue causes 'screen' to hang when run from mintty as detached
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 23:08:15 -0400
- Subject: Re: pty issue causes 'screen' to hang when run from mintty as detached
- References: <51B63D88 dot 6000508 at codespunk dot com> <phscr81sr0kr02qenquh1s0na4n062u3so at 4ax dot com> <774dr8ld62oteq1o8ljpplpuptlleritqe at 4ax dot com> <51B8F3E5 dot 8070000 at codespunk dot com> <CA+VB3NSC-Oxb0_v+PDpA3v_uyw+7xSWq2HX0nwYHj7Ub3Dty+A at mail dot gmail dot com> <51BA3488 dot 5050708 at cygwin dot com> <00f701ce688f$50c14ae0$f243e0a0$ at malth dot us>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 6/13/2013 7:39 PM, email@example.com wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, at 14:07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) thusly quipped:
On 6/13/2013 3:34 PM, Greg Turner wrote:
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Matt D. <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
"the Windows console window you get through cygstart is not [a pty]"
Ah, so /that's/ what I recently read uncomprehendingly! Thanks for
tracking down this concise explanation. Assuming that's right, then,
I wonder: what is it?
What is what? This Windows console? It's... well, it's a... um, it's a
But seriously, it's just something different that doesn't conform to the
definition of a PTY. Windows doesn't have PTYs. It uses the console
So, no win32-console-specific fhandler exists, and clones of the win32 stdio
handles are simply passed through cygwin core to newlib and vice-versa
without any funny-business?
I don't really grok what you mean by "funny-business" But let me say
this. Cygwin knows how to communicate with Windows consoles. The code
is in fhandler_console.cc if you want to look at it. But there is a
mismatch in capabilities and expectations between ptys and the Windows
console API. That's why there is also fhandler_tty.cc. The former does
its best to match the Linux/Unix world's expectations to what the Windows
console can provide (which is pretty limited). The latter simply sidesteps
the console and provides better pty support.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple