What is a good profiling tool ? - problem with gprof

Hi, I am trying to find in which function call the most time is being spent.

I am using gcc and trying to compile and link with -g and -pg.
i.e. for a trivial test :

$ cat helloworld.c
/* Hello World program */
#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
    printf("Hello World\n");
}

$ gcc -g -pg -c helloworld.c
$ gcc -pg helloworld.o
helloworld.o: In function `main':
helloworld.c:6: undefined reference to `_mcount'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any ideas ? Am I missing a .h call ? Or do I need to link to something ?

I have just updated cygwin. I attach cygcheck.out

Or any suggestions for another profiling tool that actually reports times ?
Cheers,
	Beau