This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Adding MSYS functionality to Cygwin
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:05:10 +0200
- Subject: Re: Adding MSYS functionality to Cygwin
- References: <CABEPuQJDLjtbcLig1isTUJgb6RBCD8LNShbm9mTPcb9WM5S5fw at mail dot gmail dot com> <51C0B08E dot 8080900 at etr-usa dot com> <20130618193101 dot GB4868 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <51C0D024 dot 7000404 at etr-usa dot com> <20130619020354 dot GB3669 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <20130619081511 dot GH1620 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Jun 19 10:15, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 18 22:03, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 03:24:52PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> > >On 6/18/2013 13:31, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > >> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:10:06PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> > >>>> 3. In MSYS mode Cygwin need to be very portable
> > >>>
> > >>> It would indeed be nice to have a portable Cygwin. That is, one that
> > >>> could be run from a copied directory or USB key, without being formally
> > >>> installed. Such a thing would need to solve the 3PP problem, though,
> > >>> which is Hard (tm).
> > >>
> > >> Why wouldn't that work now? You can copy cygwin1.dll anywhere you want.
> > >
> > >Because FAQ item 4.19, and because 3PP.
> > The FAQ is out-of-date. Multiple Cygwin copies should coexist peacefully
> > these days although it still is something that we wouldn't necessarily
> > advocate for a novice user.
> I'll rewrite that FAQ.
Done. Please have a look:
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple