Re: 64-bit emacs crashes a lot

On 26/07/2013 10:50 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 7/26/2013 8:32 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

Running 64-bit cygwin 1.7.22(0.268/5/3), with emacs-nox 24.3-4 inside
mintty 1.2-beta1-1, I keep getting seg faults and "Fatal error 6: Aborted"

It happens at strange times, invariably during I/O of some kind (either
keyboard input or output from some compilation window); I don't get the
impression it's fork-related. I don't know how to get a backtrace from
emacs, given the way any exception or signal always loses the "userland"
stack (suggestions welcome).

Anyone else seeing this?

This doesn't really answer your question since I don't use emacs-nox, but I've been running 64-bit emacs-X11 and finding it very stable. I typically keep it running for several days at a time.

You say you don't know how to get a backtrace from emacs. I assume you've installed emacs-debuginfo and run emacs under gdb. Are you saying you can never get a backtrace after it crashes?
I do have the emacs-debuginfo. I meant that the stack dump didn't have any emacs frames in it (they were all cygwin1.dll), and my experience with cygwin/gdb is that once you've taken a signal or exception you lose the cygwin stack and just see a bunch of threads mucking around in various low-level Windows dlls.

I have tried attaching gdb to emacs and setting a breakpoint on abort(), but it didn't catch anything yet. I'm also hampered by gdb constantly getting confused, breaking partway into emacs, and having to detach/reattach it. I've started a new thread for that issue.

Ryan