This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygport-0.14.0-1
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:09:41 -0400
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygport-0.14.0-1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <announce dot 52310A3B dot 3040009 at users dot sourceforge dot net> <52320C36 dot 30105 at etr-usa dot com> <52321FCF dot 6080801 at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 03:10:55PM -0500, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>On 2013-09-12 13:47, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 9/11/2013 18:26, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>> the Fedora Cygwin repository.
>> That's the first I've heard of its existence. (It was apparently first
>> announced on Cygwin/X, which I don't subscribe to.)
>> Is there a getting started HOWTO somewhere?
>Install the fedora-cygwin-release-*.rpm (or
>cygwin-release-*.el6.noarch.rpm for RHEL/CentOS 6.x) from
><https://sourceforge.net/projects/fedora-cygwin/files/>, then you can
>use yum or the PackageKit GUIs to install cygport plus any cygwin*-*
>libraries that you need for your packages.
>> I assume the primary advantage to using it is faster package compiles?
>Yes, plus convenience for those who primarily develop on Linux, but the
>trade-off is that not everything can be easily cross-compiled, if at
>all. It's not perfect, but some people find it useful (e.g. the
>official Cygwin DLL releases are built with this toolchain).
>>> * Creates .tar.xz packages (adds a runtime dep on xz).
>> The shipping version of setup.exe supports this now?
>setup*.exe has supported xz for some time; it was upset (the script
>which generates the setup*.ini files) which was lacking xz support until
One thing I meant to mention there is that there will no longer be
default "Misc" package creation when a package doesn't have a category.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple