This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: cannot run setup64.exe without admin privileges (even if renamed foo.exe)
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:50:36 -0400
- Subject: Re: cannot run setup64.exe without admin privileges (even if renamed foo.exe)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAPw2spinsbSZaduOMJtgR6rkaoJA9s7rTm6LCwvWBCK9-kiN8A at mail dot gmail dot com> <5231EEF4 dot 6010407 at users dot sourceforge dot net> <CAPw2sphgi3r6U=ZvUj7ywS1JYOgPY2f4spuDW8Frff5gUCsrtQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130918174034 dot GB2351 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAPw2spi2cQMRid83Zg53d3QvaA9J=2=kBXet_0SHnZtOxmwjDg at mail dot gmail dot com> <5239EC4C dot 7060904 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm> <CAPw2sph9GFaR_PLsvfWj-1FR0G0qLuaPAGnqN4RWqJEitdE8tA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAPw2sph0tFg_5g_Tt1M4gPcRoORmv-YeEPzSGto-MnguFwxBcA at mail dot gmail dot com> <5242F7FC dot 8020003 at cygwin dot com> <CAPw2sph5vs9+_H8AYeNgcLyitRcVG9f_XEm+8Zc2edfAqKCVTA at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 9/25/2013 11:21 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
In fact, what would be the issue to set the requested execution level
to "asInvoker" for the official setup-x86_64.exe?
People with admin rights will still be able to install for all users
and people without admin rights will be able to install for
Doesn't that mean that "setup-x86_64.exe" needs to be "Run as Administrator"
to be installed for "All Users"? If so, I wouldn't be in favor of the
change because it changes the default install behavior (= more confusion/
I understand. Halas, I cannot try this my-self.
Can somebody with admin rights try to install cygwin 64 for all users
using the following setup: http://www.casalibus.fr/cygwin
A quick check shows that yours definitely doesn't ask to elevate.
I can't check to see how that affects the downstream installation
and services ATM.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple