Install puts home in /c/Users

I've been using cygwin for many years simply because of the number of
tools it gives me that Windows simply doesn't have or doesn't do very
well. A while ago my install of cygwin suddely changed my home
directory from

/cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/myuseraccount

/cygdrive/c/users/mywindowsuser

I can't recall when it happened. I've lived with it for a while and
put up with it. I have recently removed the entire installationand
reinstalled using the 64bit installer. I thought a fresh install would
sort it out.

No.

Cygwin installed correctly in C:\cgwin64 which is exactly where I want
it. There is a home directory under there which no longer seems to be
the target of my home directory. After installing what I wanted out of
what was available for 64bit I found the the home directory is still:

/cygdrive/c/users/mywindowsuser

Firstly, why? Why make my cygwin home directory use the same folder
that Windows uses which is full of a load of stuff that Windows needs
to keep?

Secondly, how can I put it back as it used to be so that when I opened
bash it defaulted to my home directory which was mapped to

/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/home/myuseraccount

I know I could put in the bashrc file a cd which changes directory to
the home directory under cygwin but that means my real home directory
is still under /users which isn't what I want.

Once I've sorted that I will be a happy bunny. I've looked through the
mailing lists and I can't find anything that helps but then I might
not be searching for the right terminology.

After that my next job is to get rid of the /cygdrive mount points. It
just makes typing Windows paths unnecessarily long winded.

Thanks in advance.

Lee