This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: How about a 64-bit installer that doesn't require UAC?
- From: Denis Excoffier <cygwin at Denis-Excoffier dot org>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com Mailing List" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: Shaddy Baddah <lithium-cygwin at shaddybaddah dot name>
- Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 19:34:15 +0100
- Subject: Re: How about a 64-bit installer that doesn't require UAC?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <527563E7 dot 70508 at brazier dot com> <832145579 dot 20131103022843 at mtu-net dot ru> <5276A05B dot 8010504 at brazier dot com> <20131104115343 dot GC2731 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <527CEEBB dot 5020603 at shaddybaddah dot name>
On 2013-11-08 15:01, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> In my view, this option should only be used by users who understand well
> enough general Windows file permissions, user privileges, etc...
> the general security model, and how Cygwin functions accordingly.
Well, i would say the reverse (i.e. elevation is for knowledgeable people),
but never mind.
More importantly, the new —no-admin/-B option is especially beneficial for users
that are not allowed to elevate or that do not know any Administrator password.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple