This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Norton Warnings about cygwin.com
- From: Sean Murphy <s dot pat dot murph at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 08:05:43 -0500
- Subject: Re: Norton Warnings about cygwin.com
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <527E1FFD dot 3050000 at fastmail dot fm>
On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Emily Jackson <email@example.com> wrote:
> I am getting a "This page is suspect" warning from my Norton toolbar in
> Firefox when I go to any cygwin.com page; the full report says that
> http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe is a virus.
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Norton is ultra paranoid. When I used to use Norton 360,
it would treat mintty's executable as a virus and "helpfully"
remove it for me. Something about their heuristics treats
anything that can execute actions that lands outside of
their known files as a virus.
Sean P Murphy
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple