This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Problem with latest setup-x86.exe
- From: Harry G McGavran Jr <w5pny at w5pny dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:50:32 -0700
- Subject: Re: Problem with latest setup-x86.exe
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <52826B3B dot 8030909 at w5pny dot com>
- Reply-to: w5pny at w5pny dot com
>On 11/12/2013 10:54 AM, Harry G McGavran Jr wrote:
>> On only one of my Windows 7 machines the latest setup-x86.exe
>> works but always exits with an Access Violation.
>> So, I downloaded the source to setup and built it.
>> But in order to make the build work, I had to remove -Werror
>> from the Makefile and add a definition for ARRAYSIZE to main.cc.
>> The fix to the Access violation was to remove an extra "_" in
>> the code for the argv handling in main.cc
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:31:31 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I appreciate your looking at the source code but given what you changed,
>I don't understand how what you did would fix that. If your changes
>were really necessary then something would have to be seriously wrong
>with mscvrt handling of argv strings. That points to a problem on
>your system, not in the code.
Perhaps, but I would have no idea how to figure out problems with mscvrt.
I found the problem by just using gdb on the setup.exe built
without the __argv fix. __argv was always a null pointer.
(Since __argv seems to be a definition, I always had to look
at the results of invoking __argv when using gdb).
When looking at how _argv was handled, it looked like that was
the thing to use, so when I tried that, the pointers were all fine.
So, if in fact the original code is correct, I don't know how to
find out what changed in mscvrt. Previous versions of setup-x86
seem not to have this problem for some reason.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple