Re: setting up a minimal TeXLive?

On 11/25/2013 1:11 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
On Mon, Nov 25 2013,Ken Brown wrote:

[snipped 6 lines]

My recommendations for getting started are near the end of the release
announcement:

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2013-06/msg00030.html

I recommend *not* updating CTAN packages between releases of TeX Live
unless there is a bug that's impeding your work or a new feature that
you need.  If that happens, you can send email to the cygwin list and
I'll either update the corresponding texlive-collection-* package or
give you further instructions.

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.  From the mail link above

Standard: Install texlive-collection-latexrecommended and its
dependencies

If I choose the above package, then setup will automagically recommend
the dependencies before it starts, right?

Yes.

And is there a bit of documentation on the groupings of the files
i.e. what's in each group of the cygwin texlive* groups?

They correspond precisely to the upstream TeX Live collections. Download the file

  http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb

and search for lines of the form "name collection-*" or "category Collection".

Ken