Re: How big are your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files?

On Jan 31 22:40, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> 2014-01-31 Corinna Vinschen:
> >   Is anybody here who's using /etc/passwd and/or group files
> >   of more than 16K in size?
>
> We don't go over 16K.
>
> On our server 101 rows result in 12k in /etc/passwd. Doing the basic
> math I would say anyone in a AD-environment with over ~135 rows is
> likely to get over 16K.

Right, but only if the passwd and group files really contain lots of
entries.  In theory it was always a good idea not to keep all of
`mkpasswd -l -d' in the file, if you have a big domain.

As I said, my patch removes the need to keep passwd and group files
around at all, but for backward compatibility we'd
have to read the existing files nevertheless and the content would
have precedence over the stuff loaded directly from Windows.

That's what gives me the problem.  The new way to store the stuff would
make Cygwin definitely faster, but it would struggle with... uhm...
2.6 Megs file on the 32 bit version of Cygwin,

Hmm.  I'm wondering how to solve that elegantly.

Corinna

Red Hat