PID & WINPID

Very new to Cygwin but trying to learn. I am attempting to perform a dump on a live process. So far I have only been able to get the PID displayed in Windows which will not allow the dumper to run on the pid. When I use ps -W and get the CygwinPid and use ps -W it works. What is a simple straight forward way I can code the script to obtain the process cygwin pid by the process name and perform dumper? I have looked all over the net and found examples but none are complete in what needs to be done.
Help with this would be greatly appreciated.