Re: Trouble with running cygwin dll on Vortex86MX+ CPU

On Apr  4 09:44, Colin wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>
> > > In discussing this with the embedded PC supplier, he suggests that the
> > > cygwin1.dll is exiting because it doesn't recognise the CPU. Is this
> > > explanation plausible? And if it is, is there a solution available, or
> > > must I give up on using cygwin for this application?
> >
> > As far as the pre-built Cygwin goes, I fear that you can't do a lot.
> > You could try to build Cygwin in i486 mode, and if that works, you have
> > to make sure to build applications against the newly built crt0.o and
> > libcygwin.a.  But that's not all to keep in mind.  When building
> > applications, parts of GCC are linked in as well, namely crtbegin.o and
> > crtend.o, and sometimes cyggcc_s-1.dll.  All these may or may not use
> > post-i486 opcodes, so if push comes to shove you'd end up having to
> > rebuild GCC for i486 as well.
> >
> > I'm not trying to discourage you, but you might have a lot of
> > experimenting to do to get this working.
> >
> > Corinna
> >
> Thanks Corinna for this information. Now I understand the underlying issue
> and can decide how to move forward.
>
> Given that my application is not so big, I suspect that the pragmatic
> course will be to re-code it for Win32.

Alternatively, even though I hate to point people to older versions
of Cygwin, you could try the old Cygwin 1.5.25.  I'm not quite sure,
but I think it was compiled for i586 or even i386.  It's not as
feature-rich as Cygwin 1.7 but it worked, and maybe the set of
POSIX functions is sufficient for you.  See the Cygwin time machine
at http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwincirca

If you want to go even further back in time, then MSYS may be the
right thing for you.  It's a rip-off of Cygwin 1.3.22 with a few
patches to supposedly building native executables a bit better.
Just make sure to grab the old MSYS, not the more recent MSYS2.
See http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat