Re: dos telnet.exe not showing up with cygwin "ls"

On 04/18/2014 06:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
On 04/18/2014 04:06 PM, Andy wrote:
The real question (I should have emphasized this in my original
post) is how a file can be invisible to cygwin, but not to Windows
explorer or the DOS shell.  It's a general question that goes
beyond telnet.  The fact that this is possible is (I think)
something to be aware of because it means that what you see using
bash could very well be a low fidelity reflection of what's in the
underlying Windows file system.  I mean low fidelity in a relative
sense -- it means there's one more way for what's seen via bash to
differ from the underlying Windows file system.

Can you clarify your question here a bit?  Are you using a 32-bit
Cygwin and confused by the fact that you don't see 64-bit stuff with
it?  Forgive me if I assumed too much about the issue you're seeing.

It's not really a problem at present, but the file
c:\Windows\System32\telnet.exe is not visible when I use cygwin's bash to cd
to that directory and issue the ls command.  I am using 32-bit cygwin.  I'm
not concerned about having access to functionality, as I have both cygwin's
and Windows' telnet.  I'm curious about the circumstance that allows a file
that is readable and executable by all to invisible to cygwin.  Just
something to be aware of when using cygwin, that some mechanism may cause
some of the Windows file system to be invisible.

Sounds to me like you installed 32-bit Cygwin on a 64-bit Windows O/S.
If so, the issue you're seeing isn't Cygwin-specific.  All Windows 32-bit
apps would experience the same thing.  If you need Cygwin to see both 32
and 64-bit apps/dlls on 64-bit Windows, install 64-bit Cygwin.

<http://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe>

--
Larry