Re: cygcheck -p file.exe segmentation fault (x86_64)

On Apr 23 23:25, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Apr 23 09:17, Doug Henderson wrote:
> >> I am trying to identify the package containing the strings executable.
> >>
> >> $ uname -a
> >> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Rover 1.7.29(0.272/5/3) 2014-04-07 13:46 x86_64 Cygwin
> >>
> >> $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
> >> Segmentation fault
> >>
> >> After installing the binutils package (which contains strings.exe) I
> >> still get the segfault. Further testing shows that "cygcheck -p
> >> regexp" segfaults for any target regexp.
> >
> > Strange.  I'm getting either
> >
> > $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
> > cygcheck: unable to contact cygwin.com site, InternetOpenUrl() failed: The operation timed out
> >  (win32 error 12002)
> >
> > or
> >
> > $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
> > Found 18 matches for strings.exe
> > x86_64/binutils/binutils-2.23.52-5
> > x86_64/mingw64-x86_64-binutils-debuginfo/mingw64-x86_64-binutils-debuginfo-2.24.0.3.85cf705-1
> >

> > Corinna
>

> Sometimes, the first invocation of "cygcheck -p strings.exe" after
> starting the cygwin session shows the expected output before the
> segfault. Subsequent executions only show the segfault.

I can't reproduce this, it works for me all the time.

> Attached is the output (p1.txt) from  "strace cygcheck -p
> strings.exe". On at least one occasion, I saw the expected output half
> way through the exception messages.
>
> I do not get a stack dump file, and I can't seem to get anything
> useful by running with gdb.

cygcheck is not a Cygwin application but a native Windows one.
It doesn't return lots of usueful info under strace becasue this
requires a Cygwin DLL, and cygcheck only loads the cygwin DLL
at runtime, but doesn't need any of Cygwin's functionality for -p.

The cygwin-debuginfo package adds symbols, this may be a big help
debugging this problem.

Corinna

Red Hat