Re: no syntax highlighting in cygwin / vim

On 05/01/2014 04:05 PM, Glenn Strycker wrote:
"syntax on" does not seem to be supported in the Cygwin version of
vim.  When I include this in my .vimrc file, I get the following
error:

      $ vi -u .vimrc .vimrc
      Error detected while processing /home/gstrycker/.vimrc:
      line   11:
      E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax on
      Press ENTER or type command to continue

Use "vim" or "gvim" if you want color.  "vi" doesn't support color.  You
can create a .virc file without color sequences for use by "vi" if you
prefer to use it as is.  Otherwise, you can alias "vi" to "vim" if you
prefer it to act as "vim" does.

Also, I tried to make a /usr/share/vim/vimrc file, but it does not
seem to be loading automatically.  Do I need to add something to my
path, or an environment variable (e.g. "vimpath"?) or something?

You may source any file you want from your .vimrc (.virc/.gvimrc) file.

Note that there is a similar thread to these questions here:
http://superuser.com/questions/505761/how-to-get-vim-color-mode-to-work-in-vim-under-cygwin

And the 2nd answer there is the right one for this particular question and
complements what I said above.

--
Larry