This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: no syntax highlighting in cygwin / vim
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 18:23:52 -0400
- Subject: Re: no syntax highlighting in cygwin / vim
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CABVxZbaXjiViK8fOSBFJHP_JdY_73Z3vwnrk5uDY1fGHi26a0A at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 05/01/2014 04:05 PM, Glenn Strycker wrote:
"syntax on" does not seem to be supported in the Cygwin version of
vim. When I include this in my .vimrc file, I get the following
$ vi -u .vimrc .vimrc
Error detected while processing /home/gstrycker/.vimrc:
E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax on
Press ENTER or type command to continue
Use "vim" or "gvim" if you want color. "vi" doesn't support color. You
can create a .virc file without color sequences for use by "vi" if you
prefer to use it as is. Otherwise, you can alias "vi" to "vim" if you
prefer it to act as "vim" does.
Also, I tried to make a /usr/share/vim/vimrc file, but it does not
seem to be loading automatically. Do I need to add something to my
path, or an environment variable (e.g. "vimpath"?) or something?
You may source any file you want from your .vimrc (.virc/.gvimrc) file.
Note that there is a similar thread to these questions here:
And the 2nd answer there is the right one for this particular question and
complements what I said above.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple