Re: Problem with "None" Group on Non-Domain Members

On May  5 10:17, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On May  5 09:49, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> >As far as Cygwin tools are concerned, the None group is just a normal
> >group like any other group.  The behaviour you're observing looks a bit
> >like either your group file is not ok, or you're testing this with the
> >noacl mount option.  Or, probably more likely, you're suffereing from
> >the default ACL settings propagated from the parent directory.
> >
> >When Cygwin sets the POSIX permissions, it does exactly the same thing
> >for the primary group in your token, whether it's None or any other
> >group.
> >

> I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the behavior
> agrees with your statements. I've tried this on a couple different
> machines, and the behavior is identical. No matter what I do, if a
> file is created with the "None" group, the group file permissions
> are always identical to the owner file permissions. I've tried
> playing with my umask and with directory sticky bits. It doesn't
> matter.

I wasn't talking about the POSIX permissions, but about the Windows
ACL.  In your current dir, what does `icacls .' print?  Maybe that
gives a clue.

> In the example above, my parent directory is rather oddly,
> Chris.Users 000. The current directory is Chris.None 775.

I just tried it myself with a local machine account and I can't
reproduce this.  My pgid is "None" and the umask of 0022 leads to the
expected POSIX permissions:

  vmbert8164+lcorinna@vmbert8164 ~
  $ umask
  0022

  vmbert8164+lcorinna@vmbert8164 ~
  $ touch bar

  vmbert8164+lcorinna@vmbert8164 ~
  $ ls -l
  total 0
  -rw-r--r-- 1 vmbert8164+lcorinna vmbert8164+None 0 May  5 16:41 bar

> [...]
> Taking the example one step farther:
>
> $ chmod 600 bar
> $ ls -l bar
> -rw-rw---- 1 Chris None 0 May  5 10:10 bar
> $ chmod 400 bar
> $ ls -l bar
> -r--r----- 1 Chris None 0 May  5 10:10 bar

  vmbert8164+lcorinna@vmbert8164 ~
  $ chmod 400 bar

  vmbert8164+lcorinna@vmbert8164 ~
  $ ls -l bar
  -r-------- 1 vmbert8164+lcorinna vmbert8164+None 0 May  5 16:41 bar

So I'd say it's not a generic issue but something in your environment.
It would be nice to know what that is, of course.  Maybe there's some
security setting?!?

Corinna

Red Hat