This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup-x86.exe has virus and is blocked by Malware Detectors
- From: Robert Pendell <shinji+cygwin at elite-systems dot org>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 16:46:41 -0400
- Subject: Re: setup-x86.exe has virus and is blocked by Malware Detectors
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1400181948 dot 68721 dot YahooMailNeo at web121901 dot mail dot ne1 dot yahoo dot com> <20140515193629 dot GA18612 at tastycake dot net> <20140515194537 dot GB1733 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx>
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 08:36:29PM +0100, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:25:48PM -0700, Wes Kaefer wrote:
>>> I agree, it probably does not have a virus; but it has a virus signature.
>>This is covered in the FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.virus
> Thanks for pointing that out. I should have remembered the FAQ.
It is actually flagging the fact that setup.exe is packed using upx
since at one point (or maybe still) virus authors had packed their
binaries with upx in order to try to evade scanners. Upx in itself
though is not a virus and the false flag should probably be removed by
the antivirus company.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple