This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: gecos from AD? (was Re: timeout in LDAP access)
- From: Denis Excoffier <cygwin at Denis-Excoffier dot org>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 01:07:39 +0200
- Subject: Re: gecos from AD? (was Re: timeout in LDAP access)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <F312783D-AD66-4614-922B-E44403C7E372 at Denis-Excoffier dot org> <20140617100011 dot GL23700 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20140617103014 dot GP23700 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20140617125154 dot GR23700 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
On 2014-06-17 14:51, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 17 12:30, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jun 17 12:00, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> On Jun 16 22:39, Denis Excoffier wrote:
>>>> Another (unrelated and less important) problem is that 'getent'
>>>> happily produces lines with some extra ‘:’, in particular when the
>>>> gecos field itself contains ‘:’.
>>> Wow, that *is* important. All fields returned from the server have to
>>> get their colons converted to commas. I'll fix that.
> On second thought, removing colons should only occur for gecos. The
> other fields shouldn't contain colons anyway since their content has to
> be POSIX-compatible anyway.
> So, either I add code to remove the colons from the gecos field …
>> While we're at it... do we really need the gecos info? Cygwin fills
>> out this field with the Windows username and SID info for internal
>> purposes, and then adds the gecos info from AD. However, it's just
>> informational and usually only used by the finger(1) tool.
>> Shall I just remove fetching the gecos fields from AD entirely?
> ... or that.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple