This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Website: Package listing not working + cygport query
- From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 00:04:29 -0500
- Subject: Re: Website: Package listing not working + cygport query
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5395FA98 dot 5050005 at tiscali dot co dot uk> <20140617143111 dot GF7138 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <20140617153200 dot GA6910 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx>
On 2014-06-17 10:32, Christopher Faylor wrote:
I'm surprised that I haven't seen this before: The name that you used to
generate your packages was "David Stacey/None". My parser wasn't
expecting a name with a space and I didn't detect the fact that the
parsing failed (#($& just realized that I forgot to fix that). So it
was just outputting a '0' size, one per line.
Yaakov, wouldn't it make sense not to just use 0/0 as user/group when
generating packages with cygport by forcing --owner=0, --group=0 to the
tar command? I'm not suggesting that this is the right way to fix this
particular problem but I don't think it's a good idea to leak people's
names and groups out onto the interwebs if we can help it. It will also
make the packages slightly smaller.
That would undermine any legitimate specification of gid/uid. I would
like to see how this is handled in the Linux distros first.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple