This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Package file lists archive
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:22:03 -0400
- Subject: Re: Package file lists archive
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAAXzdLUx+zsvXGDfYyBkounDNLsMy8oW1ZmGZtLoOA-XfeDQHg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140526201210 dot GB3903 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAAXzdLUZ-0iR4NR2j30UPJpmr4LfPtqBXfPtc7vh-nY3ZfF9Ag at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140527221151 dot GA6521 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <5395D00C dot 1080704 at etr-usa dot com> <CAAXzdLWmmQEvwpGFcraT=7+hwfYWRzGbj4YxegAoWScZ46-jfA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140617142906 dot GE7138 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAAXzdLVFNcyFRbWoWGTAaDj8C=LqvMnZQbNgDfTYCeoM=3sUfw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140618061812 dot GE4920 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAAXzdLVAp_rKLNravSrH81-Kx12TXq2VwwWNcDdxRQxe7Eoc8Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 01:53:14AM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Your idea of "constructive" is apparently flawed.
>This is an interesting comment, taking in that your response ignores the
>original question and focuses on off topic quibbling. I will pose your viewpoint
>and my question again
I was actually staying on-topic with what I wanted to address: namely
the thin ice that you are walking with your posting style.
>>And, frankly, I think it's a bad idea to keep a monolithic list of
>>packages available for people to download anyway.
>Do you have an explanation for this opinion, or citations as to why
>this is a bad idea, taking into account that major Linux distros are
>already using this very method?
Frankly, I don't have to justify my opinion. I understand how the
package generation would have to work and don't see a major benefit to
introducing a package list file given the amount of work and the fact
that I would have to do the work. I also don't want to spend my time
debating with you about why it is or isn't a good idea.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple