Re: Cygwin terminal collapse

Greetings, Nikhil Nair!

> One thing I should, perhaps, mention: I'd also been using Cygwin Ports, and
> it looks like I'd got more recent versions of some packages by adding that
> repository.

> So, any further hints would be most welcome...

Using Ports is not a problem per se, but NOT using ports AFTER you've used
them once may trigger serious issues in package consistency.

I have this little script

#!/bin/sh
ARCH=x86
if [ "$(uname -m)" = "x86_64" ]; then
  ARCH=${ARCH}_64
fi
LANG=C wget -N "http://cygwin.com/setup-${ARCH}.exe";

if [ "$1" = "ports" ]; then
  run ./setup-${ARCH}.exe -K http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg
else
  run ./setup-${ARCH}.exe
fi

and I always start it with "ports" option since I've used ports repo once to
bump a number of applications to a desired version.

Talking about your cause directly, seeing as simple resolutions did not quite
worked, I suggest to go the long way.
Make sure ALL the Cygwin applications are closed. That includes anything that
is possible located in your Cygwin home directory, and any applications that
may have files open from these directories.
Rename your Cygwin folder to something else. Cygwin.old or whatever.
Launch setup.exe and reinstall Cygwin anew. Pick appropriate type for your
tasks, though. While Cygwin64 is mature enough for work, it still
lacking/behind on some packages, and may not be suitable for your needs.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...